Slashdot reported (others too, I’m sure) that the Pro-IP act has passed the Judiciary Committee. This is yet another evil copyright expansion that blatantly contradicts the plain English meaning of the 8th clause of Section 8 of the First Article:
“To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries”
This particular bill authorizes seizure of property in copyright cases – a mechanism that has resulted in gross abuse in drug cases and is repugnant to the rule of law.
The /. article linked to William Patry’s blog, who is now one of my heroes. His blog discusses an article by Neil Natenel: “Why Has Copyright Expanded? Analysis and Critique.” It is an excellent discourse on the prevailing contortions exploited to provide legal cover for industry-drafted legislation that has so distorted the concepts of copyright and hobbled the advancement of technology and science.
Natenel’s counterarguments against ideas as property and neoclassical market optimization were convincing but I think missed something, though there is a full-length book on the same subject I have yet to read.
(My thoughts below but they reference the article.)
- Manually Update Time Zone Data on Android 10 2023 October 31
- Autodictating to self using Whisper to preserve privacy 2023 August 17
- Projecting Qubit Realizations to the Cryptopocalpyse Date 2023 August 04
- AI PSYOPS are changing strategic messaging 2023 July 29
- Convert A Slideshow/Presentation into HTML 5 Video 2023 July 23
- Mobotix Notifier in Python – get desktop messages from your cameras 2023 June 06
- Get a desktop alert when Thunderbird gets constipated 2023 May 29
- The end of a comic era 2023 May 14
- WordPress forward and back navigation I find pleasing 2023 May 07
- عيد مبارك 2023 April 22
- Post History